As everyone knows, Left Hand Turns can be the most dangerous maneuver done in a vehicle. You are attempting to turn in front of on-coming traffic and if your judgment is off or your view is somehow altered, it could end in a very horrific situation.
- Yield the right of way to other traffic.
- Signal for the turn at least 150 feet in advance of the intersection will be turning on.
- Make sure there are no other vehicles, bicycles, motorcycles or pedestrians in your path. Be ready to yield to anyone in the crosswalk (this is key).
- Allow plenty of time to maneuver your vehicle from a stopped position across the traffic lanes.
- Begin turning when your vehicle’s front wheels are in line with the center of the street you are entering. If you are turning from a one-way street into another one-way street, begin your turn when the curb begins to curve.
- If you want to turn left at a traffic light that does not have a left-turn arrow, consider continuing through and make three right turns around the block, and then use the traffic light to go straight across.