A dog bite can be one of the most devastating injuries that anyone can go through. Unfortunately, dog bite injuries occur more often than many think. In fact, each year more than 4.5 million people in the U.S. are attacked by dogs.
Even more alarming, over 800,000 people receive medical attention due to dog bites--with more than half of the victims being children.
Children are by a wide margin the most common victims of dog bites. In 2011, dog bite claims accounted for over a third of all homeowner’s liability insurance claims, to a tune of $479 million.
Dog bites are dangerous. Below are a few ways to help fend yourself against a dog attack.
- If a dog approaches you in a ready to attack stance, DO NOT scream and run away.
- Remain motionless with your arms to your sides and DO NOT make eye contact with the dog.
- If the dog does attack, try to put something in between yourself and the dog. For example: A jacket, a bike, a ball…
If you are involved in a dog bite injury, two things to remember:
- Call the police or Animal Control:
- Locate an experienced dog bite lawyer in Phoenix, Arizona.
Having someone with experience in handling cases similar to yours can and will make all the difference in your case. Stay safe.