DID YOU KNOW: One third of all car accidents occur at night and more than half of reported fatalities are due to driving at night?
With so many variables involved with night driving, this really shouldn't come as a surprise.
If you do alot of your driving at night, we've compiled a list of
safety tips to help keep you and your loved ones safe on the road.
- Always keep your headlights clean and in working condition.
- Make sure your tail-lights are working as well. Many accidents are caused due to non-working tail lights and those vehicles end up getting rear-ended.
- You should always have your headlights set to turn on as soon as the sun starts to set. You don't want to take a chance.
-Try not to use your high-beam lights unless it is your only option. High-beam lights can cause blindness for drivers traveling in the other direction.
- Always make sure you can see clearly through your windshield. If it's dirty, clean it. If it's cracked. Get it replaced.
- Always drive alert. With driving being the norm in a commuting city such as phoenix, we can easily get too relaxed behind the wheel. Don't.
- Watch for drunk drivers. Unfortunately, the majority of drunk driving accidents occur in the early morning hours of the day. If you are on the road. Stay alert.
- Watch for motorcycles. The single headlight can be confusing, leading one to think the vehicle is farther away than it really is.
- Keep your eyes on the road. I cannot even count the amount of times I come up on a person crossing the road at a non-crosswalk, in dark clothing.
- Watch your speed. The darkness makes things less visible, and the faster we go the harder it is to react.
- Above any other time of the day, STAY off your devices. No texting and driving, PERIOD.
We cannot prevent all accidents, but attention and vigilance can sure prevent many.
Remember, no matter who is at fault, the best accident is the one that never occurs. Right or wrong, no one wins.