Millions of Americans will be preparing meals and traveling over the Thanksgiving holiday, which has prompted the American Red Cross to remind everyone of the importance of safety this holiday season.
Cooking is the leading cause of home fires and Thanksgiving-related injuries.
Safety tips to follow:
• Keep children and pets at least three feet away from cooking areas.
• Constantly clean all cooking surfaces to prevent grease buildup.
• Stay in or close to the kitchen while frying, grilling or broiling food. Turn burners off if leaving the kitchen.
• Keep a pan lid or baking sheet nearby. Use it to cover the pan if it catches on fire.
• Place turkey deep fryers outside and far away from the house, deck, and garage.
Vehicles should be in good working order before heading out. Things to remember:
• Pack emergency supplies like blankets, water and snacks, flashlight and first aid kit.
• Fill the fuel tank, check the air pressure in tires and top-off windshield fluid.
Check belts and hoses and make sure to secure all luggage attached to the vehicle.
• Buckle up, keep the speed limits and obey all traffic signs.
• Avoid distractions while driving like using mobile phones to talk or text.
• Designate a driver who won’t be drinking whenever alcohol is served.
ZACHAR LAW FIRM wishes everyone a safe and Happy Thanksgiving!!